Monday, June 09, 2008

Cigar?

It's time to share.
Last Wednesday, I lit up a cigar.  I don't like cigars.  They taste nasty, they smell terrible but sometimes it just seems like the thing to do.  About ten years ago I wrote a magazine article on a whim and it sold.  The first place that would get the magazine in town was a locally famous cigar store.  I picked up the magazine and a cigar and sat on the bank of the Willamette reading my first article and smoking my first cigar.
Last week, the fine people at YMAA express mailed me a copy of the book right off the presses.  I had to wait until after work and it was too dark to sit on the deck and smoke a cigar and read, but the tradition has become pretty strong.  I puffed a little in the cloudy midnight and went inside and read.
It looks good.  I found one spelling error and one of the copy-editors really likes commas, but it reads pretty well.  There are places where I struggled with the formatting but that is what happens when you try to deal with a complicated subject.  Each thing affects many other things and the effects of stress have to be discussed in training and in application and in thinking and in the aftermath.
The pictures, a few provided by Critical Care Bio-Recovery (Thanks, Jennifer!) and martial friends and several taken by my wife are effective, even though the book was written without pictures in mind.
The foreword by Steve Barnes is powerful.  The advance praise is very good.
My local Barnes and Noble  and Borders and Powells have all assured me they are on order and will be on shelves very soon.
So I'm a little jazzed right now.  Life is very cool.
Adventure awaits.

10 comments:

Kai Jones said...

Woot! That must be quite a feeling.

Steve Perry said...

Amazon.com says they are shipping in about two weeks, 6/25, or thereabouts.

Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait. Congratulations Rory!

MikeK

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Rory! My order's with Amazon - looking forward to it.

-john

Mark Jones said...

Congratulations! Kai and I have our copy on order. Can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

Waiting for my Amazon package with great anticipation! When is your next book out? LOL!!!

Congratulations Rory!!!

Melissa

Steve Perry said...

FYI --

"Hello from Amazon.com.

We are writing about the order you placed on March 25 2008 18:25 PDT (Order# XXX). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected:

Rory Miller (Author) "Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence" [Paperback]
Estimated arrival date: 06/19/2008 - 06/23/2008

Kai Jones said...

Steve--must be living out of town that does you in. My delivery estimate from Amazon is June 18. (Although it's usually off by a day, so I probably won't have it until the 19th.)

Dave Chesser said...

Congrats. Can't wait to get a copy.

Kai Jones said...

Got mine! (Well, I have to share it with Mark.)