Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ripples

Having the book out is like watching ripples in a pond. I’ve now heard things discussed- the flaw in the drill, fighting to the goal, the complexity matrix, the monkey dance- as if they were just stuff. Stuff any martial artist should be aware of, just basic things.

I don’t know how many people have read the book or how the concepts spread- over the internet, in discussions, in classes, at seminars- but with the power of the web I can actually see them spreading. I don’t know if you can have any idea how cool that is until you do it. Makes me feel useful.

Side thought- reading the reviews it’s amazing how much stuff people choose to see in there, too. How what everyone reads isn’t a book, but this weird mix of any given book and their pre-existing worldview. I would have expected that if it had ever occurred to me to ponder on it.

2 comments:

Dunabit said...

I'm always surprised by the different filters through which people hear/view/interpret. It's amazing that we're able to communicate at all, I think.

I think a lot of what's in _Meditations_ provides that crystilline "aha" moment, the uncommon common sense that provides the mortar to all the bricks of education and experience.

Congratulations on the success of your book. It's well-deserved.

Best wishes,
lynD

Charles James said...

Hi, Sgt: I can honestly say that the discovery of your book caused a paradigm change in the way I practice.

It led me to other places of knowledge of which I sorely needed.

I look forward to your next publication.