Saturday, April 17, 2010

New Business

"May I speak to Sharon Tring, please?"
I didn't recognize the voice on the phone. "I think you have the wrong number, " I said.
"Did you just start a business? You're doing business as Sharon Tring?" Sharon Tring? Chiron Training? Swift.
"Yes. Chiron Training. How can I help you?"
"I'm XXXX with XXXX and I'd like to help you get your new business off the ground."
"No thanks. I won't be needing your services."
He chuckled, as if he heard that from all of his cold calls, "We're a consulting company that specializes in helping start-ups. You just started your business correct?"
"Yes, and you can't help me, but thanks."
"Now hold on there, son..."
"No, you hold on. What do I do?"
"Excuse me?"
"What do I do?"
Silence.
"If you didn't do enough basic research to find out what I do, you can't help me do it. Thanks for calling.
"Err, thanks. Have a nice day."

Evidently, the state business license is public record. Second call like that so far. This one was just funnier.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Other stuff:

Martial University will be held June 19th at the Sumner High School in Sumner WA. Mark Hachey of YiLiQuan Kung Fu is setting it up. All proceeds will go to the families of the four Lakewood Police Officers who were murdered last November.

Seminar in Portland May 1st.

Seminar in San Francisco May 9th.

Remember the storytelling event? The recording is now available in BackFencePDX's archives.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

score!

Anonymous said...

Too funny.

At any rate, you seem to be keeping busy enough.

Sure you do not want to come be a small town cop?

We decided to stay another year, and let our oldest daughter graduate. the top ten percent of graduates in Alaska schools get a nice scholarship. So I ask mostly out of greed for the company...

R. E.

Justthisguy said...

I try to avoid answering the phone, if at all possible. I mean, there's a chance that I might have been drinking and tell a person like that _exactly_ what I think of him.

Lise Steenerson said...

hahahahahaha... this made me laugh pretty hard. Nice

You know marketing is a lot like fighting. Just the basic skills will get you by just about anything. (which is what he was going for). But if you want to be the best, if you want to shine, you have to do your homework and customized what you do